Guest Post: Mushroom & Parmesan Muffins
Recipe By Charmian Christie aka The Messy Baker.
How ironic these light muffins can do such heavy lifting. Tired of breakfast cereal? Scramble some eggs and grab a mushroom-studded muffin. Stumped for a lunchbox treat? Pop in a muffin. Need a sugar-free after-school snack? Muffins to the rescue. They even make a satisfying late-night snack.
Consider these mild-mannered muffins as a launch point. I designed them for maximum appeal, but you can customize them to suit nearly every occasion or taste with a simple swap or two. Try a smoked gouda or sharp cheddar instead of Parmesan. If you’re bored with standard bacon, try smoky diced ham, sweet candied bacon, or spicy chorizo. Like it hot? Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, hot smoked paprika, or chipotle powder. Mushrooms can take it. In fact, I suspect they welcome the challenge.
Mushroom & Parmesan Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
- 1 cup finely chopped white or cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan petals, crumbled
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. When the butter bubbles, add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and all liquid is gone. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Add the Parmesan, bacon, and cooked mushrooms. Toss to coat evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour over the flour mixture and stir until just blended. The batter will be thick, almost scone-like.
- Spoon evenly into the lined muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing muffins from the pan. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To rewarm, split and pop under the broiler until golden. Microwaves will make them soggy.
Follow along with Charmian at The Messy Baker and on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!