Guest Post: Easy Peasy Breakfast Taquitos
We’ve come up with a simple and “healthier” breakfast taquitos recipe using crimini mushrooms that we think you’ll want to make again and again. Instead of deep frying the taquitos we bake them in the oven. It is a recipe that the kids can help out with and that the whole family can enjoy!
Easy Peasy Breakfast Taquitos
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30–35 minutes
Total Time: 45–50 minutes
- 5 strips of bacon, diced and cooked
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp. milk
- 1 cup cheese, Havarti
- 1 cup (30 small whole) Crimini Mushrooms, diced and sautéed
- ¼ cup Frozen spinach
- 10 Tortilla shells
- 1 tbsp. olive oil + more for brushing the tortilla shells prior to baking
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Couple pinches of garlic powder, divided
- Couple pinches of onion powder, divided
- Couple pinches of Italian seasoning, divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parsley (optional)
- Dice mushrooms and set aside for later
- To a medium bowl, add eggs, milk and season with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning to taste. Whisk until well combined. Set aside for later.
- To a frying pan, add 5 pieces of bacon and cook over medium heat until desired crispiness. Once done, remove from pan, dice and set aside for later
- To the same frying pan, add diced mushrooms + frozen spinach that has been thawed and drained and season with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, chili flakes and salt to taste. Once mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes, add in cheese and continue to cook until cheese melts, another 2 mins. Once done, remove from heat and allow mixture to cool
- To another frying pan, add seasoned eggs and cook on medium low heat, making sure to run a spatula across the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until eggs set and fluffy curds (scrambled eggs) form, about 4 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To assemble taquitos, divide ingredients (i.e. eggs, bacon and mushroom mixture) among 10 shells and tightly roll shells to ensure ingredients are well intact. Place open flap side down onto a lined baking tray and repeat until all shells have been filled.
- Brush each roll with oil and bake on 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the tortilla shells crisp and lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with dip of choice and garnish with parsley.