Guest Post: Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni with Mushroom Sauce
Looking for that special recipe for a lovely Sunday lunch or special dinner. We have one for you: Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni with Mushroom Sauce. This dish screams flavor and deliciousness from the beautiful baked al-dente pasta right into that creamy spinach cheesy filling. Taking it over the top with a creamy white wine mushroom cream sauce. Truly a mouth-watering experience for sure.
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni with Mushroom Sauce
Serve: 3-4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 200 g fresh spinach
- 200 g mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shitake)
- 300 g ricotta
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano
- a pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper
- 12 oven-ready cannelloni
- 2 tablespoons evo oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a pinch of paprika
- 1 tablespoon each parsley, thyme, chives
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 100 g (1/3 cup) Taleggio
- a drop of truffle oil
- Wash and then cook the spinach in a sauté pan with evo oil, whole garlic, and chili flakes until wilted and soft. Take off heat, take out garlic, drain, squeeze well, and puree in a small food processor.
- In a medium bowl, mix the spinach puree and the ricotta, a pinch of nutmeg, and a little salt. Add the grated Parmigiano and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan drizzle in evo oil, add butter, minced shallot, and garlic whole. Let that sauté until shallot begins to soften and toss in mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, paprika, parsley, thyme, and chives.
- Add white wine and let dissipate about 2 minutes. Then, add the cream, and cubed Taleggio. Cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes, until Taleggio has melted and become creamy. Turn off the heat, drizzle a drop of truffle oil, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Fill a pastry bag with the spinach/ricotta mixture and pipe it into the oven-ready cannelloni. Fill from both ends.
- Place some of the mushroom sauce at the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange filled cannelloni on the sauce, then pour the rest of the sauce over top, spreading evenly.
- Cover with foil wrap, and place on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes or the recommended time on the pasta package. Uncover for the last two minutes of cooking.
- Take out of the oven, let sit for a couple of minutes, then serve with a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley.