Guest Post: One Pot Mushroom Biryani
Recipe by Suganya of Relish The Bite.
Rich and flavourful biryani made with mushrooms. It is an easy dish to cook in 30-40 minutes with minimum ingredients. This is perfect to cook when you have guests over or make it for dinner parties quickly You are going to love this flavourful rice.
An authentic mushroom biryani is always slow cooked on “dum” in one pot. It is an ancient technique of cooking on “dum” as they believe it brings out its uniqueness and originality. This is done by cooking the rice and veggies under steam by not allowing the steam to pass. The food gets cooked in its own steam and juices on slow fire, and it infuses the flavours and aroma of the herbs and spices in the food. You can enjoy this with thick yogurt.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Serves : 6
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf – ½
- Cinnamon – 1 thin piece
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom pods – 2
- Onions – 1, big, sliced thinly
- Mint – 1 cup, chopped finely
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup, chopped finely
- Garlic – 6, very finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Green chilli – 8, slit
- Tomato – ½, sliced
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Biryani masala – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder –1 tbsp
- Mushrooms chopped (crimini, or another favourite variety) – 2 cups
- Salt – 2.5 tbsp or as per your taste.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Take a big wide pan, add oil on medium heat, and add the spices like bay leaf, Cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, and sauté for a minute. Add the cumin seeds, then the onions, mint, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies, and fry for two minutes with a bit of salt.
- Then add tomatoes with mushrooms, turmeric powder, biryani masala, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well and sauté for two minutes.
- Then add the rice and mix well.
- Add the water to it and close the pan in medium high heat for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, change it to low for ten minutes.
- Finally, keep it closed for ten minutes after removing from heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Remove chilli powder if you find it spicy.