Guest Post: Puff Pastry Mushroom Tart
Recipe by Louisa Clements of Living Lou
There’s nothing like a delicious, savoury mushroom tart. Made with puff pastry, this tart takes only ten minutes to pull together and is perfect for entertaining. Mushrooms are sautéed with onions and seasoned with garlic, balsamic, and fresh thyme. Sprinkled over a bed of cheddar cheese and roasted in the oven, serve this tart with a light arugula salad.
Puff Pastry Mushroom Tart
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 454g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place puff pastry on top and score a ½” border around the edge. Brush all over with egg wash and sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly within the border you just marked.
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms followed by onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are browned and have released all of their liquid and onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, balsamic and fresh thyme, scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Distribute the mushroom mixture over the cheddar cheese. It may seem like there are too many mushrooms but just spread them in an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until edges of puff pastry are golden and crisp.