Guest Post: Vellutata di Funghi al Marsala, Creamy Mushroom Marsala Soup
Vellutata di Funghi al Marsala, Creamy Mushroom Marsala Soup, is the most luxurious mushroom soup you will ever have, hosting creamy earthy mushroom flavour accompanied by the sweetness of the Marsala wine and sautéed shallots. The garnish offers nice textural notes of sautéed mushrooms and pepperiness from the parsley. More so, the paprika adds just enough of that sweet smokiness to keep us very happy! A perfect soup for the beginning of the fall season!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 300 g Cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced (reserve 50 g for garnishing)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons evo oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon evo oil
- the 50 grams of reserved mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
- pinch of paprika
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- Drizzle olive oil into a medium soup pan, and throw in the butter. Toss in minced shallots and turn heat to a low/medium. Sauté for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in mushrooms (remember to reserve 50 g for garnishing). Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the Marsala wine and let the alcohol cook off. Time to add in the vegetable broth, cover, and let that simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering sauté the reserved mushroom slices in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes until golden in color. Set aside.
- Once soup is done, turn off heat and pour in heavy cream. Give it a good stir and pour all of it into a blender. Blend until beautifully smooth and creamy.
- In the same pot or another, let’s make a roux: melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk until a thick paste forms and flour turns golden. Do this on low heat. Pour the soup in the blender into the pot with the roux and blend with a whisk. Let that simmer until soup thickens. Turn off heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with some sautéed mushroom slices, a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley, and finish with a pinch of paprika.
Serve & Enjoy!!