Guest Post: Roasted Red Pepper & Mushroom Penne with Shrimp
Recipe by Registered Dietitians Symone & Chantel – Double Dose of Vitamin C
Instead of adding heavy cream to this Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Penne with Shrimp we’ve opted for whole milk (3.25%) so that it contains a little less saturated fat and therefore can be a more health conscious, yet still indulgent, option when craving something creamy and cozy. As the temperature drops, this dish will feel like comfort in a bowl!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25-35 mins
Total time: 40-50 mins
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- ½ jar (~142mL) Roasted red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, thinly sliced (~10 whole mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1½ cup whole milk or 2% for a lighter option
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Parsley for garnish
Note: white mushrooms can be substituted with any mushroom of choice
- Cook pasta to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- To a pot, add oil and heat over medium heat
- Once the oil is hot, add onions and garlic, sautéing occasionally to prevent burning. Cook onions until it turns translucent.
- Once onions have become translucent, add mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Continue to sauté over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices, flour and milk to the pot. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Continue to cook over medium-heat.
- Sauce will begin to bubble. Continue cooking until sauce thickens.
- Once sauce has reduced, slowly add in cheese, stirring continuously to combine and avoid sticking.
- Add shrimp and continue to cook.
- Once shrimp has cooked through, add cooked pasta to the pot and mix.
- Serve with fresh parsley and extra parmesan
To check out more recipes from Symone & Chantel, you can follow them on their cooking adventures on Instagram.