Looking for ways to keep your Heart Healthy? Now is your chance! February is Heart Month in Canada, and what better time to make some heart friendly lifestyle changes than now.
So, where do you start? Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best ways to keep your heart healthy. Keeping blood cholesterol levels on target is another key in lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day can help us protect our hearts against cardiovascular disease by providing protective substances such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
Including fresh mushroom in your daily diet can also help!
Cut the Cholesterol
- Fresh mushrooms contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. Soluble fibre has been shown to help prevent and manage cardiovascular disease by lowering the levels of total and LDL cholesterol.
Watch the Weight
- Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for weight management, since they have high water content, are low in fat and contain some fibre: three factors that will help you feel full with fewer calories. That means less room for calorie-laden foods.
Adding the Antioxidants
- Fresh mushrooms contain significant levels of l-ergothioneine, which acts as an antioxidant. Ergothioneine doesn’t break down when it’s heated, which means you can enjoy mushrooms raw or cooked and still benefit from this powerful phytochemical.
Adding Fresh Mushrooms Can Make a Difference:
- Add ½ cup white button mushrooms to your omelet or scrambled eggs.
Benefit: one 1 extra gram of fibre.
- Mix 1 cup of diced portabella mushrooms into pasta or pasta sauce.
Benefit: three 3 extra grams of fibre.
- Include 1 ½ cups sliced crimini (brown) mushrooms in risotto or other rice dishes.
Benefit: five 5 extra grams of fibre.
Healthy Heart Recipe Suggestion:
Mushrooms & Vegetable Tacos
For more information and reference visit Mushrooms Canada’s Healthy Heart page.