Beef and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps with Cucumber/Lime Yogurt and Sriracha Peanuts
Easy and fun to make, these wraps can be used in a formal or informal setting, as an appetizer or main course.
Recipe and photo by Chef Christopher Pires of Food Inspires.
Prep Time: 30 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins.
1 pkg Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
½ cup yogurt
1 lime, zested and juiced
½ cucumber, deseeded and chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb beef, cut philly cheesesteak style – thin and in pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup Cremini mushrooms blended with 1 medium onion in a processor – rough chop
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, Sambal Oelek
2 tbsp chili flakes
Olive oil, salt and pepper – to sauté, and to taste
½ cup peanuts
2 tbsp Sriracha
Combine all ingredients and let rest for 30 minutes before serving (or use right away)
1. Brown the beef breaking up the bits that clump together
2. Drain any fat that comes into the pan, add about 2 tbsp olive oil to the beef and add the diced onion – you only want to soften the onions
3. Add the Worcestershire sauce, sambal, salt and pepper – taste, season and taste again
4. In a separate pan (or empty the beef/onion mixture to a bowl), add 1 tbsp olive oil and the mushrooms and onions – you want to remove the extra water from the mushrooms and onions so sauté until they are almost dry – flavor with some salt, pepper and chili flakes – remember, taste, season and taste
5. Once the liquid from the mushroom and onions has almost dried up, add the beef/onion mixture – stir to combine – That’s it for the filling!
6. Coat the peanuts in the sriracha, let dry on their own on the counter for about 30 minutes or in a 325F oven for 10 minutes (make more than you need, they won’t last and you will regret it!)
Arrange lettuce on a plate, top with the beef and mushroom mixture, dollop with yogurt, top with peanuts – enjoy! Note if lettuce doesn’t lie flat, trim the bottom (middle stem) so there is a flat edge, stand it up in this edge