Bistro Mushroom and Salmon Salad
A new version of the classic Nicoise salad, which is lower in carbohydrates because mushrooms replace the potatoes. Serve with a whole wheat baguette for a light meal or luncheon.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 0 mins. | Marinating Time: 15-60 mins. | Serves: 6
Tip: Substitute 2 tsp (10 mL) dried dill weed for fresh dill and add ¼ ( 50 mL) chopped fresh parsley to the salad. Kalamata or Nicoise olives cured in oil or brine are more flavourful than canned.
1/2 cup olive oil 125 mL
5 tbsp lemon juice 75 mL
2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
1/2 tsp Each salt and pepper 5 mL
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill 75 mL
1 lb. fresh Mushrooms, thinly sliced 500 g
8 oz. green beans, halved 250 g
1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes 250 mL
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced 1/2
12 Romaine or Boston lettuce leaves 12
2 cans (213 g) red sockeye salmon, drained 2
3 hard cooked eggs (optional) 3
1/2 cup slivered black olives (optional) 125 mL
1 large lemon, cut in wedges 1
Fresh dill sprigs (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and dill together. Place mushrooms in a large bowl; pour ¼ cup ( 50 ml) dressing over and stir to coat well. Marinate at room temperature 15- 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile add beans to boiling water and cook until tender-crisp about 4-5 minutes; refresh under cold running water and drain well.
- Add tomatoes, beans, onion and remaining dressing to mushrooms; toss to mix well; arrange lettuce on large platter or on individual plates. Spoon mushroom salad onto lettuce leaves; remove bones from salmon, breaking into chunks and place on top of salad. Slice eggs or cut into wedges and arrange on top of salad if using, and garnish with olives if desired. Garnish with lemon wedges(to squeeze over salmon) and dill sprigs.
- Omit canned salmon and top salad with grilled filets of salmon or cold poached salmon.
- Substitute canned or grilled tuna for salmon and replace dill with tarragon.
Sodium: 432 mg
Protein : 17.5 g
Fat: 22.8 g
Carbohydrates: 11.5 g
Dietary Fibre: 3.3 g