Umami-rich mushrooms are blended with ground beef and seasoned to create the perfect Italian-style meatball. Serve with marinara and spaghetti or toss with a Teriyaki sauce and serve as an appetizer.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mushroom Council.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins.
Makes approximately 20 meatballs.
½ lb. mushrooms, finely chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove minced garlic
½ cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking tray with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
3. In a skillet over medium heat cook chopped mushrooms until brown and most moisture has been released, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
4. In a large bowl combine cooled mushrooms, beef, seasoning, onion, garlic breadcrumbs and egg; mix all ingredients until incorporated. Shape mixture into 1½ inch meatballs. Place 1 inch apart on pan.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until meatballs reach 160°F, are cooked through and center is no longer pink.