Blended Shepherd’s Pie
This updated version of shepherd’s pie is a a blend of ground beef, chopped mushrooms and mixed vegetables and topped with whipped mashed potatoes.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mushroom Council.
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 1 hr.
4 large russet potatoes, cut into chunks
½ cup milk
½ lb. mushrooms, finely chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic & herb seasoning
2 tbsp flour
½ cup beef broth
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas), thawed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
¼ tsp salt
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add milk and mash until potatoes are smooth.
3. Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
4. In a large skillet, cook meat, mushrooms, onion and seasoning until meat is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 min. Add broth, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and salt; cook 5 min., stirring occasionally.
5. Spoon into 9×13 baking dish, cover with mashed potatoes.
6. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese; bake 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.