Caramelized Mushroom and Onion Dip
This caramelized mushroom and onion dip blends the meaty flavours of onions and mushrooms with the creaminess of fat free Greek yogurt. An added element is nutritional yeast, a great way to replace lost sources of vitamin B12 (found in meats), but also a way to really fill out the flavours in this dip.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Elizabeth of Guilty Kitchen.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 25 mins. | Makes: 1 cup of dip.
2 tsp grapeseed oil or butter
1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced into thin half moons
1/3-1/2 cup beer
1/2 lb. White mushrooms, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
Fresh cracked pepper
1/3 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1. Heat oil or butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook for about 7 or 8 minutes or until most of the liquids have been cooked off and the veggies are beginning to stick to the pan.
2. Deglaze with the beer in two additions, making sure all the beer is gone before adding the second batch. Continue to cook down for approximately 20 minutes. The veggies should be browned and caramelized, the beer all gone.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a bowl.
4. Blend in remaining ingredients and stir.
5. Top with green onions and serve with crusty bread, naan or pita, chips, tortillas, etc.