Citrus-Kissed Mushroom Pâté
Recipe courtesy of The Messy Baker.
Makes about: 1 ½ cups | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
½ red onion, ½-inch thick slices
2 cloves garlic
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup walnut halves
¼ cup soft goat cheese or feta
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon</span
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms, onions, garlic and thyme. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Give a light sprinkle of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add walnuts and bake 5 more minutes, being careful the walnuts don’t burn.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and allow the mushroom mixture to cool to room temperature. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture into a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the cheese, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and orange zest. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped and spreadable, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve at room temperature on bread, crackers, or toast.