Coconut Mushroom Puffs
Recipe and photo courtesy of Samantha from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 25 mins.
Tip: If you like, you can make the mushroom mixture ahead of time and store in an airtight container until you are ready to full the puff pastry.
1 Puff Pastry, thawed (Check ingredients to make sure it is vegan, most are)
16 oz Mushrooms (two of those little boxes, or one of the big ones)
4 Cloves Garlic
½ Cup Canned Full Fat Coconut Milk (shaken well before measuring)
2 teaspoons Corn Starch
1 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
½ teaspoon Dired Oregano
¼ teaspoon Salt
Several Grinds of Pepper
Flour for rolling the puff pastry
Chives, Cilantro, or Parsley for Garnish (optional)
To Make the Coconut Mixture:
1. Start by making the coconut mushroom filling. Slice the mushrooms and mince the garlic.
2. Mix together the coconut milk and corn starch and set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium high heat. When it’s hot, add the mushrooms and garlic.
4. Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they soften and begin to release their juices.
5. Stir in the coconut milk mixture, nutritional yeast, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer.
6. Continue to cook for about another 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens a bit. Remove from heat.
To Make the Puffs:
7. Preheat the over to 400F (200C).
8. Lightly flour a clean work surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle that’s about 9″ x 12″.
9. Use a long knife to cut the puff pastry into 24 squares. that’s 3 cuts down the longest direction, and 5 cuts across the shortest direction.
10. Push each puff pastry square into the mini cupcake pan, so that the edges of the puff pastry, come up the sides forming a little cup to hold the mushroom mixture. If any of your squares are a little too small, just use your rolling pin to roll it out a little more.
11. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among the cups.
12. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, rotating the pan once, until the edges of the puff pastry are golden. To remove them, use a knife to pop them out of the pan.
13. Finely chop chives, cilantro, or parsley, and sprinkle on the mushroom puffs for garnish.