Cream of Mushroom Soup
Subtle herbs compliment the rich and creamy mushroom flavour in this fall soup. The perfect starter for a dinner party. Serve with a crusty roll or baguette for dipping.
2 lb. fresh Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/3 cup flour
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup 5% table cream
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp minced parsley (optional)
1. In large heavy soup pot, melt butter over medium heat; sauté mushrooms for 5-6 minutes or until most of the moisture from mushrooms has evaporated; sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
2. Slowly stir in broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly.
3. Add Italian seasoning, bay leaf and green onions; reduce heat and cover.
4. Simmer 15- 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
5. In small bowl whisk egg yolks with cream; stir 1cup (250 mL) hot broth into cream mixture and then return all to saucepan. Heat over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes, do not allow to boil.
6. Using a hand blender (or food processor), blend soup until it has reached the desired consistency. Add 2 tbsp of water if soup is too thick. Add pepper to taste.
7. Serve sprinkled with parsley, if desired.
Note: If table cream is substituted and allowed to boil it will curdle