Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce
“These ridiculously cute and mouth-watering Portabella pizzas taste so much like the real thing you won’t believe they are vegan, gluten-free, and good for you! Shhh, don’t tell my husband.”
Recipe and photo courtesy of Angela from Oh She Glows.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 12 mins. | Serves: 3-4
8 Portabella mushrooms
2 cups pizza sauce
Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
1/3 cup each red, green, orange pepper, diced
1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
2-3 large basil leaves, finely diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Vegan Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce:
1 cup raw cashews
1/3-1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt, to taste
1/2 tsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
1 fresh basil leaf
1 small clove garlic
1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven by setting the broiler on low. Take a baking sheet and cover with a silicone non-stick baking mat or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Make your Vegan Cashew Basil cheese sauce by using the recipe below. Set aside.
- Remove stems of Portabellas and gently rub Portabellas with a wet cloth to clean. Place Portabellas ‘belly’ side up on the baking sheet. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce into each Portabella. Now spoon about 2 teaspoons of Vegan Cashew basil Cheese Sauce on top of the pizza sauce (see recipe below). Grab a cutting board and knife and chop the onion and pepper and then sprinkle onto Portabellas. Finally, shake on some red pepper flakes and sprinkle finely diced basil on top.
- Broil in the oven on the lowest temperature setting on the middle rack for about 10-12 minutes, watching closely as broiler temperatures vary. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Vegan Basil Cheese Sauce:
1. Place 1 cup of raw cashews in a bowl of water, cover, and soak overnight in the fridge.
2. When cashews are ready, drain and place all ingredients (cashews, Himalayan sea salt, cold-pressed sunflower oil, basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice) into a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of processor as necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
3. Place any leftover cheese in a container in the fridge and enjoy with chopped vegetables, crackers, bread, and chips!