Recreate those esgargot-stuffed mushroom caps in a more waistline and adult friendly dish that won’t make you or your guests nearly as squeamish.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Elizabeth from Guilty Kitchen.
Prep Time: 25 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins.
Makes 1 12″ flatbread.
For the flatbread:
¼ cup whole milk (warmed to 120-130°F)
½ tsp organic can sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup plain
0% Greek yogurt
For the topping:
2 tsp unsalted butter
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 small yellow or sweet onion, sliced into half-moons
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 tsp dried oregano or Italian herbs sea salt to taste
1 125g can escargot in water (drained and rinsed), chopped
113g fresh goat cheese
1. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in warm milk. Add yeast, stir to combine and allow to rest 1-2 minutes.
2. In a separate, larger bowl, blend the flour and salt.
3. Pour the milk into the flour and add the yogurt. Stir to combine until you can no longer stir. Continue by kneading on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Form dough into a ball, place back in the bowl, and cover with a moist towel. Allow to rest in a warm spot while you prepare the topping.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a pizza stone in the oven while preheating. If you don’t have access to a pizza stone, line a large baking tray with aluminum foil and brush with oil.
5. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the butter on medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft and slightly golden brown. Add in the chopped escargot, oregano and salt and sauté for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Remove dough from bowl and shape roughly with your hands into desired shape. Dough should be no thicker than ¼”. Place the dough on the baking tray (or if using a pizza stone, on a floured piece of large cardboard). Crumble the goat cheese over, followed by the escargot and mushroom blend (You may have some left over). If using the pizza stone, slide the dough from the floured cardboard onto the pizza stone. Bake for 10-12 minutes (slightly longer on the aluminum foil). Remove from oven, slice as desired and serve immediately.