Grilled Mushroom Quesadillas
Recipe courtesy of The Cookie Writer.
Serves: 2 | Prep: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total: 30 minutes
1 lb mushrooms (I used a mix of button, mini bella, and portobello), halved (if using portobello, make sure it is chopped roughly the same size as the other mushrooms for even cooking!)
1 large jalapeno, sliced into rings (optional)
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil + more for greasing
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded sharp cheese (Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, etc.)
4 (8 – 10 inch) flour tortillas
- Prepare propane grill by heating three burners over medium-high heat.
- While BBQ is heating, slice mushrooms. Combine jalapenos, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mushrooms and toss until well combined! You can also prepare this mix a day in advance.
- Adjust burners to medium heat (looking for 400F-425F.) Lightly oil grill.
- Pour mushrooms onto grill, taking care not to lose anything between the bars (looking at you, jalapenos!)
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, trying to maintain 400F-425F temperature. Flip mushrooms and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until browned to your liking (I like seeing how far I can go without burning them!)
- Move to a bowl.
- Lower heat to medium-low (350F)
- Brush one side of each tortilla with some oil.
- Place two, oil-side-down, onto grill. Quickly top each evenly with mushroom mixture and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, oil-side-up.
- Cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for a few more minutes (keep an eye on them or you may end up with some char like I did!)
- Remove from heat, slice, and serve with your favourite toppings!