Halloumi Stacks with Mushrooms
Halloumi stacks is a fantastically simple recipe that goes down a treat in the summer months. Its light vegetables match perfectly with the salty flavours of the halloumi to give a sensationally addictive taste.
Recipe and photo by Ben of The Online Grill
6 white button mushrooms
2 large tomatoes
2. If you don’t have a griddle pan then one way around it is to preheat your oven grill with the grill bars in to help give you those lovely seared grill marks in the tomatoes and zucchinis.
3. Start heating up your pan to a medium-high heat, or if you’re using your oven then preheat it to 180C/350F/gas 4.
4. While your oven is preheating, cut your tomatoes horizontally, zucchinis diagonally, and mushrooms vertically (got that?) into thick slices.
5. Add the zucchini to the pan and season with salt and black pepper. Griddle for a couple of minutes on each side, and really try to work in those beautiful sear marks!
6. Remove the zucchini and now add the tomato, repeating the process but for nearer one minute on each side instead of two. Repeat again, but this time with the mushrooms.
7. Now for the fun part! Heat up a frying pan to a medium-high heat, and throw in the halloumi. Turn every minute until both sides have browned then remove.
8. Now time to stack these bad boys! This part is wildly open to artistic license, so order as you wish, but I organize mine as: Tomato at the bottom, then zucchini, mushroom, and the beautifully browned halloumi at the top.
9. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on top, and you’re done!