Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Meatballs
Blending minced mushrooms into your ground pork is a great way to reduce calories, add nutrients and save money.
Image and recipe courtesy of Ontario Pork.
Prep Time: 15 mins. | Cook Time: 20 mins. | Makes: 24 meatballs.
1 lb (450 g) lean ground Ontario pork
2 Tbsp (30 mL) milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) mushrooms, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup (60 mL) goat’s cheese or cream
1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
2 Tbsp (30 mL) EACH fresh basil, sun dried
tomatoes, black olives; minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) nonstick oil spray
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together ground pork, egg, milk, mushrooms, onion, salt/pepper and balsamic vinegar till well combined.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together cheese, honey, basil, sun dried tomatoes and black olives till well combined.
3. Take 1 tsp of the cheese mixture and form it into a ball. Take 2 Tbsp of the pork mixture and make a bowl shape. Place the ball of cheese in the centre and wrap the pork around the cheese mixture forming it into a ball.
4. Spray a large skillet with nonstick oil spray and brown the meatballs over high heat. Once browned on all sides, turn to medium heat and cook covered for 5 minutes or until no pink remains and aninternal temperature of 160°F (71°C) has been reached.
5. Serve as part of a charcuterie plate or an appetizer on its own.
Per 1 Portion (1/4 Recipe):
Calories 263, Fat 8.7 g, Saturated 2.5 g, Cholesterol 69 mg, Sodium 193 mg, Carbohydrate 18.5 g, Fibre 4.5 g, Protein 27.1 g