Mushroom and Bacon Clafoutis
My “go to” for light dinners that pair beautifully with fresh vegetables or salads.
Recipe courtesy of Mardi from eat. live. travel. write.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 25 mins. | Serves: 2 as a main
2 slices bacon, roughly chopped
60g white mushrooms, roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried Herbes de Provence or thyme
1/2 cup (60 mL) milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons (20 g) grated Swiss cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 sprigs fresh thyme, for garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375˚F. Lightly grease 2 ramekins (mine were 12 cm in diameter and 3 cm high with a 160 mL/ 2/3 cup capacity) and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
2. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the bacon and mushrooms to the skillet and cook over medium heat until they start to colour slightly, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the Herbes de Provence and pepper, remove from the heat and divide between the ramekins.
4. Whisk the milk and egg together until combined, add the cheese and flour and whisk until smooth.
5. Divide the custard between the ramekins.
7. Bake at 375˚F for 25 minutes until the custard is puffed and slightly golden.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.