Mushroom, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart
A flaky pastry crust is filled with seasoned eggs, fresh asparagus, creamy goat cheese and a roasted medley of mushrooms. The use of pre-made puff pastry makes this tart easy to put together for a weekend lunch or quick appetizer.
Recipe developed in partnership with Egg Farmers of Ontario.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins. | Serves: 4-8
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 lb (500 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (crimini,
1 450 g package frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight
2 large eggs
½ tbsp (7 mL) Italian herbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 oz (50-80 g) softened goat cheese
2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
15 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
1 oz (30 mL) goat cheese, crumbled (for topping)
1. In a large pan add olive oil. Cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until moisture has been released.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out both pastry sheets. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Fold over edges all around pastry sheet to make a raised crust.
4. In a small bowl whisk together eggs, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, softened goat cheese and milk. Divide mixture between both pastry crusts.
5. Place asparagus spears across the top of egg mixture. Spoon cooked mushrooms over asparagus. Crumble remaining goat cheese evenly over entire tart. If desired, brush the crust with egg wash*.
6. Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set, asparagus is tender, and crust is golden.
7. Serve warm or cooled.
*Tip: Brushing the crust with an egg wash will produce a nicely browned crust with a slightly glossy finish. To make egg wash simply whisk together 1 (one) large egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of water until frothy. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to crust.