Mushroom Cutlet by Relish the Bite
Recipe and photo courtesy of Suganya from Relish The Bite.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 45 mins. | Makes: 12 cutlets.
Mushroom – White button – (You can use any variety) – 200 gm
Cumin Seeds/ Jeera – 2 tsp
Onion – 1/2 cup – finely chopped
Fennel seeds – 2 tsp – crushed
Green chilli – 3 medium sized, finely chopped
Garlic – 3, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
Potato – 2 medium sized.
Mint – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Coriander – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Pepper powder – 2 tsp.
Salt – to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
All purpose flour –
Eggs, slightly beaten (or) all-purpose flour &water
Breadcrumbs – 3 tbsp
Vermicelli – 2 tbsp
Oil – for deep-frying and 1 tbsp for sautéing
1. Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems. Chop the mushrooms bite size.
2. Boil the potatoes, season with salt until tender. Then drain, peel and mash.
3. Heat 1 oil in a pan in medium flame, add cumin seeds and when it changes color, add the onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic with little salt. Sauté them till the onions becomes translucent.
4. Add the finely chopped mushrooms now and sauté they dry out all water and get cooked.
5. Now add the mashed potato, mint, garam masala, fennel seeds, pepper powder and coriander to the pan. Mix well and switch off. Check for salt and add at the step according to your taste.
6. Take the mushroom potato mixture and make it to small balls. Place in your hands; now press it gently to flatten it to round thick cutlets. You can make it to any shape you fancy.
7. Dust it to flour, then dip it in egg mixture and shake off any excess for a thin coating and then dip in the breadcrumb mixture to coat evenly.
8. Place them into a baking sheet or a plate till you finish all. Keep it aside for 15 minutes if possible to make it dry for deep-frying.
9. If you want, you can freeze the cutlets at this point up to one day. You do not need to thaw before frying. They can also be frozen up to 2 weeks and defrost completely before frying.
10. Heat oil in a large pan in medium-high heat. Deep fry the cutlets till they are crisp and golden brown on all sides, turning once in between. Drain the excess oil by placing on kitchen paper.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup or yogurt mint dip and thinly sliced onion rings and lemon slices.
1. If you are pan-frying then just drizzle with some oil over a hot non stick pan and arrange 4 at a time and cook in a medium flame both sides, until crisp.
2. You can add veggies or minced meat to this if you want 🙂 for meat lovers. And vegetarians, you can mix some all purpose flour and water, replace egg dip with the all-purpose flour dip.
3. Adjust the quantity of chilis and black pepper powder according to your taste.