Mushroom, Kale and Gouda Quiche with a Phyllo Crust
A deep and delicious quiche, full of pan-sauteed mushrooms, onions and bacon, then flavoured with a bit of kale and gouda cheese. Perfect for the brunch table or enjoy for dinner, with a salad. You could substitute Gruyere for the Gouda cheese.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Jennifer from Seasons and Suppers.
Prep Time: 25 mins. | Cook Time: 1 hr. 25 mins.
1/3 cup diced red onion
2 strips bacon, diced
227g tray of sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup kale, stems removed, chopped and massaged (*see instructions below)
1 ½ – 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
4 sheets of phyllo pastry
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 cups Half & Half (10%) cream
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the diced onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring regularly, until bacon is cooked and mushrooms are golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Spray an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray and set on a baking sheet. Take one sheet of phyllo and brush with melted butter. Tear large sheet in half down the middle. Place one of the sheets in to the prepared springform pan, gently pressing it down and draping over the sides and top. Repeat with the other sheet, but laying it an angle to the first piece, to overlap. Repeat with the remaining 3 full sheets of phyllo. (You’ll use 8 half-sheets in all).
4. Place the cooled mushroom mixture in to the bottom of the phyllo lined pan. Top with kale and then the shredded cheese. In a large bowl of measuring cup, whisk together the egg and milk. Pour over the filling. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
5. Place pan in oven (on baking sheet) and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, loosely cover the top with a piece of aluminum foil, to prevent the crust from burning on the top. Cook an additional 45-55 minutes (65-75 minutes total). Test by jiggling pan a bit. If it jiggles like jello, it needs to cook more. Remove foil for last few minutes of cooking, to allow top to brown slightly.
6. Place in pan on to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Carefully loosen sides of springform pan.
*To massage kale: Remove kale from stems and chop or tear in to bite-sized pieces. Place on to a cutting board and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Massage kale by pressing against the cutting board until it softens and darkens.