One Pot Bacon Mushroom Swiss Burger Pasta
This Bacon Mushroom Swiss Burger Pasta is a perfect weekday meal the entire family will love!
It’s for Mushroom Canada’s “Blend and Extend” campaign. Which is brilliant. You take a ground protein and blend it with mushrooms to make the meal go further. More nutrition and costs less, which had me on board from the get go.
Recipe courtesy of Samantha from mykitchenlove
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 6-8 dinner servings
4 cups white button mushrooms, ends trimmed
1 yellow (cooking) onion, halved and peel removed
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 slices bacon
225 grams / 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 lbs / 454 gr dried penne pasta
130 gr swiss cheese, cut into thin slices or grated
5 cups low sodium beef or vegetable broth
5 oz / 144 gr baby spinach leaves
- Blend spinach in a food processor until shredded. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, bacon, garlic, salt, pepper and mushrooms to the food processor pulse until all ingredients are ground. Add beef and pulse until combined.
- Preheat a large pot or pan to medium-high heat and add beef mixture from the food processor. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until meat has browned.
- Add thyme, pasta and broth to pan. Bring to a boil and cook for 11 minutes at a strong simmer (over medium heat) or until pasta is cooked al dente. Add spinach, stirring to fully combine and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven boiler to high. Top pasta with swiss cheese and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Allow pasta to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.