Roast Portabello Mushroom and Bread Salad
Recipe courtesy of Jules Clancy from Stonesoup.
Prep Time: 5 mins. | Cook Time: 35 mins.
3/4 lb medium portabello mushrooms, about 7 350 g
1-2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 bunch thyme
1/2 stick butter, diced 2oz/60g
2 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
large chunk rustic bread, approx 200g
1 bunch flat leaf (continental) parsley, leaves picked
shavings of parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
2. Trim mushroom stalks and place in a baking dish stem side up. Scatter with garlic, thyme and butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes.
3. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, mustard and oil. Taste and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
5. Remove thyme stalks and discard. Carefully tear the mushrooms into halves or quarters, you want bight sized pieces.
6. Remove the bottom crust from the bread and tear into bight sized chunks.
7. Toss bread and dressing in with the mushrooms, encouraging the bread to soak up the dressing. Taste and season, if needed.
8. Toss in parsley leaves and sprinkle over the parmesan shavings. Serve warm.