Sautéed Mushroom Guacamole
With summer upon us, I highly suggest grilling your mushrooms for this recipe. It will beat heating up your house, and the smoky flavour from the grill will only enhance this appetizer.
Recipe and photo by Kacey of The Cookie Writer.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins.
8 oz white, cremini, or mini bella mushrooms, halved then sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup white wine or vegetable broth for deglazing
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small lime, juiced
1 medium tomato, diced (or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved.)
1 small red onion, diced (roughly 1/8-1/4 cup)
1. Set frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, stir in mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, or until beginning to brown. Sprinkle with some salt.
2. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Pour in wine (or broth) to deglaze, cooking until liquid dissipates. Remove from heat to cool.
3. Cut your avocados in half and remove pit. Spoon out avocado into a medium-sized bowl. Mash until you reach desired consistency (chunky or smooth.)
4. Add garlic, salt, and freshly squeezed lime. Stir to combine.
5. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and onion, stirring until combined.
6. Cover and refrigerator until chilled, probably a good hour minimum.
7. Give it a taste test to see if it needs more salt or lime.
8. Serve on its own, with tacos, or burritos!
Note: You can grill your mushrooms on the BBQ with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Amount of lime and salt needed is based on preference (so taste as you go!)