Simple Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
This recipe is for four portobello mushrooms but it is easily doubled or tripled depending on how big the crowd you are feeding. Be sure to get yourself some flavourful sausages, as the seasoning in them will be graciously welcomed by the meaty texture of portobello mushrooms.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Christina from Strawberries for Supper.
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 25 mins. | Makes: 4 mushrooms.
4 portobello mushrooms
2 hot or mild Italian sausages
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Trim the stem of the portobello mushrooms and brush the outside with olive oil.
3. Remove the sausage meat from their casings either by squeezing it out or slicing it lengthwise and scraping it off the casing into a medium sized bowl.
4. Blitz some stale bread in a food processor (preferably a crusty loaf such as a sour dough or French bread) to get ½ cup of fresh breadcrumbs with a little extra to sprinkle over the top before baking the mushrooms.
5. Gently mix the breadcrumbs in with the sausage and the Parmesan cheese. No need for it to be perfectly mixed. Leaving it a little loose prevents the filling to get overly dense when cooked.
6. Fill each of the portobello mushrooms with ¼ of the filling. Leave some texture on the top of the filling rather than pressing it in so that it is smooth.
7. Place each mushroom on the tray and sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top. Press them on gently if needed to make them stay on the filling.
8. Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes or until the filling is starting to brown and the juices of the filling run clean when you slice into the centre.
9. Serve with a hearty salad. Serves four for a light meal, or two for a large, filling meal.