Southwest Turkey Burgers on a Portobello Mushroom “Bun”
Recipe courtesy of Christina from Strawberries For Supper.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 15 mins.
2 lbs ground turkey
2 tbsp grated onion
1/2 cup corn flakes
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 lime, zest and juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil for brushing on patties before grilling
8 portobello mushrooms
sliced Monteray Jack cheese (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
1. In a small food processor, blitz the corn flakes until they are almost a powder and set them aside.
2. Mix all the other ingredients together (grated onion, mustard, cilantro, spices, salt and pepper) with a fork except for the corn flakes, cheese and vegetable oil.
3. Add half of the corn flakes and mix it well with the turkey. If the turkey mixture is still too soft to easily form into patties then add the rest of the corn flakes. Let the turkey mixture sit in the fridge for an hour before forming the patties.
4. Cut eight square of wax paper to place the patties on. Brush the wax paper with oil so the formed patties won’t stick to it and put them on a tray.
5. Form the turkey mixture into 8 patties using a burger press or your hands. If you are using your hands then you should grease your hands as well. The turkey mixture is sticky.
6. Heat the grill to a medium heat and drizzle some olive oil on the tops of the mushrooms (not the gills on the underside) and sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper. Cut the thick mushroom stem off to make a more flat surface on the underside of the mushroom.
7. Put the burgers on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the sides seem cooked and the uncooked side starts to appear slightly juicy. Before you flip the burgers put the mushrooms on the grill with the gill side down. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip them. Put the slices of cheese on the gill side of the mushroom (the underside).
8. If the burgers are ready to be flipped they will release fairly easily from the grill. Flip them and cook for another 5 more minutes.
9. When the burgers are cooked through to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) and the cheese is melted on the mushrooms, serve one burger on top of one mushroom as an open-face burger with your favourite toppings such as lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.
Note Toppings shown in photo are:
Salsa Fresca: Chopped tomatoes, sweet onions, cilantro, lime juice and sea salt.Spicy Mayo: Mayonnaise, pinch of chipotle powder and lime juice.