Spicy Beef and Mushroom Udon Soup
The bite and chewiness of the asian udon noodles is perfectly complemented by the spicy and tender veal. Using a variety of vegetables, including fresh mushrooms, adds a lightness to the rich and salty beef broth. Top it with a hard boiled egg for a punch of colour!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Brittany from My Daily Randomness.
Prep Time: 1 hr. | Cook Time: 20 mins.
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1/2 lb. thinly sliced veal
4 cups sodium reduced beef broth
1 tbsp garlic, ginger & chili (in a jar)
400 g Udon noodles
4 green onions chopped, divided
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots, divided
1/2 cup bean sprouts, divided
8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
4 hardboiled eggs
1. In a small bowl mix oyster sauce, honey, soy sauce, and pepper flakes. Place veal in ziploc baggy and pour over marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
2. In a large pot, simmer beef broth with garlic, ginger and chili. Add in udon noodles, half of the chopped green onions, half of the carrots and half of the bean sprouts.
3. In a frying pan, cook marinated veal over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to pot of broth.
4. Using the same pan, deglaze with a splash of water and add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms release most of their moisture, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to pot of broth.
5. Let pot simmer for 5-10 minutes, allowing for all the flavours to come together.
6. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls, top with raw sliced carrots, bean sprouts and hardboiled egg. Makes 4 large servings.