Sweet and Spicy Stir Fried Mushrooms
Serve this very easy side dish with grilled chicken, fish, lamb or spinach vegetarian dishes or as part of an Asian cuisine menu.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 8 mins
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soya sauce 25 mL
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each oyster sauce and honey
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp (1-2 mL) hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) fresh medium white and crimini mushrooms
- Garnish: Sliced green onions (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the soya sauce, oyster sauce, honey and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat; add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the oil to the wok and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 –2 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in soya sauce mixture and sesame seeds; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are well coated and just tender. Serve sprinkled with green onions if desired.
Sodium: 385 mg
Protein: 2.5 g
Fat: 5.6 g
Carbohydrates: 7.6 g
Dietary Fibre: 2.0 g
Recipe adapted from the Australian Mushroom Growers’ Association.