The trick to a delicious dinner salad is having a mixture of flavours and textures that will make each bite just a little different than the last.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
- 8 oz fresh crimini mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning blend
- Italian seasoning blend:
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the mushrooms and onion in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Crumble in the ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushroom mixture, red pepper, Tex-Mex seasoning blend and Italian seasoning blend. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomato paste; add the tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Divide the lettuce evenly between four dinner plates. Top with the meat mixture, cheese, avocado, sour cream (if using) and cilantro.
Tip: For traditional tacos reduce the lettuce to 2 cups and serve with flour or corn tortillas.