Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced hearty mushrooms (crimini, portobella and shiitake)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) farro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, mushrooms, pepper, and thyme. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour in wine to deglaze the pot, cook stirring for 30 seconds. Stir in farro and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until the farro is tender.
- Remove lid, stir in frozen peas and continue cooking and stirring for 8 minutes, uncovered, until desired thickness has been reached.
- Remove from heat, stir in parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh parsley.