This is an easy version of the classic Italian recipe. Mild flavoured leeks combine with wonderful woodsy shiitake mushrooms to create a delicious treat. Serve with a green salad or as an accompaniment to veal or chicken.
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins. | Serves: 2 mains or 4 sides
Tip: Arborio rice is a short-grain rice imported form Italy used specially for risotto.
1 leek 1
2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
2 garlic cloves, minced 2
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth 500 mL
1 cup arborio rice 250 mL
1/3 cup dry white wine or broth 75 mL
1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper 0.5 mL
8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms 250 g
1/4 cup table cream (18%) 50 mL
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley 25 mL
1 oz Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/3 cup/75mL) 30 g
- Cut dark green tops and root off leek; halve lengthways, wash and thinly slice.
- Heat 1 tbsp(15 mL) oil in a large, deep skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, bring the broth to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat or in microwave. Stir rice into the leek mixture; cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir in wine, salt and pepper; cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to covered 2 qt (2 L) oven –proof casserole or baking dish. Stir hot broth into rice mixture; cover and bake in 400ºF (200ºC) oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Wipe caps with a damp cloth and slice. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in same skillet or saucepan over medium- high heat. Add mushrooms, cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until just lightly browned . Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Remove risotto from the oven; stir in cream, mushrooms and parsley. Cover and let stand
for 5 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls and serve immediately garnished with shaved
Variation: A mixture of shiitake, oyster and crimini mushrooms may be used if desired.
Sodium: 731 mg
Protein: 8.7 g
Fat: 12.0 g
Carbohydrates: 45.3 g
Dietary Fibre: 1.6 g