Recipe courtesy of Michelle from The Tiffin Box.
Prep Time: 2 hrs. | Cook Time: 35 mins.
Makes about 4 individual 6 – 7 inch pizza bases, or 2 large pizzas
1 tablespoon active dried yeast
1 cup (250 ml) warm water (110 F) + ¼ cup extra
¼ teaspoon sugar
2 cups Italian 00 flour
1 cup + a little extra, plain flour
1 teaspoon, or to taste , salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Makes enough to top 2 large pizzas
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups hot milk
Salt to taste
Rosemary Rubbed Turkey Fillet
250g turkey fillet
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
2 – 3 tablespoons unscented oil
250g Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
Small handful fresh rosemary, leaves picked
A little shaved parmesan (parmigiano reggiano) or pecorino (pecorino romano) cheese
Drizzle of white truffle oil
1. Preheat your barbeque (or oven) to 450 F.
Make the pizza bases:
1. Whisk the yeast in the warm water with the sugar. Let it sit in a warm place, until the yeast mixture begins to foam up.
2. Sift the flours and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the middle, and drizzle over the olive oil. Pour in the yeast mixture, a little at a time, mixing it in with the flour, until all the mixture is used up and you have a soft dough. If the dough is too dry, add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until you get a soft, but not sticky dough.
3. Dust your work-space with a little flour, and turn the dough out on it. Knead well for about 7 – 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth. Chafe the dough into a ball, and place it in a well oiled large bowl. Cover with a damp towel and proof it for about 1 – 2 hours, until the dough has risen and doubled in volume.
4. Gently knock back the risen dough and turn it out on to a floured surface.
5. Divide the dough into 4 pieces (or 2 pieces if making large pizzas). Using the palm of your hand (or a rolling pin) flatten the dough into thin bases.
Make the white sauce:
1. To make the roux, heat the butter in a heavy based pan, until melted. Add the flour and garlic powder, and cook out the flour for about 2 – 3 minutes, until the raw taste disappears.
2. Gently pour in the hot milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly to make a smooth sauce.
3. Simmer the sauce for about 2 – 3 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Season to taste.
Make the grilled rosemary rubbed turkey:
1. Rub the turkey fillet with the chopped rosemary and salt and bring it up to room temperature. Brush with the unscented oil and place on the preheated barbecue.
2. Grill the fillet for 8 – 10 minutes, then turn it. Brush with more oil, then continue grilling for another 10 minutes or so, until the turkey is cooked all the way through, and the juices run clear. The grilling time for the turkey will be based on how thick your fillet is.
3. Rest the turkey fillet for about 5 minutes, then shred it.
Assembling and grilling the pizza:
1. Place the pizza base on a well floured pizza peel. Gently flick it directly on to the preheated barbecue and grill for 1 – 2 minutes, until it starts to bubble up. Using the peel, take it off the barbecue and flip the base over on to a plate or chopping board.
2. On the grilled side, spread some of the white sauce. Top with the shredded turkey, the sliced Shiitake mushrooms and the picked rosemary leaves. Turn down the barbecue to 400 F. Slide the pizza back on to the barbecue grill, away from direct heat, and cover and grill for about 3 – 4 minutes, until the pizza is crisp on the bottom.
3. Slide off the barbecue, and top with the shaved parmesan or pecorino cheese and drizzle with a little truffle oil to serve.
4. You can also use a preheated heavy duty pizza stone on the barbecue. If using a stone, top the pizza before sliding on to the stone and cook for about 7 – 8 minutes, or until the pizza is crisp on the bottom.