“This sauceless pizza is more like an open-faced panini. A drizzle of honey is the crowning touch.”
Recipe courtesy of Charmian from The Messy Baker.
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 10 mins. | Serves: 4-6
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless turkey breast
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 large red onion
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stems
Pizza dough, store bought or homemade
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounces smoked Gouda, grated
Fresh ground black pepper
Cornmeal for dusting
¼ cup liquid honey
1. Preheat the grill on medium.
2. Slice the turkey breast horizontally so it is about 1-inch thick. Brush both sides of all the slices with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
3. Peel the onion and slice it in 1/4-inch thick rounds. Brush both sides with olive oil.
4. Place the turkey and onion slices on the hot, oiled grill and cook, turning, until the turkey is cooked and no longer pink inside. Cook the onion until it begins to soften and is browned.
5. When the turkey and onion are done, remove from grill and increase heat to medium-high. Close the lid. You want the grill to heat to about 400-450F.
6. Slice the grilled turkey into 1/2-inch wide strips. Separate the onion into rings. Set aside.
7. In a large saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté the mushrooms, garlic and 2 sprigs worth of fresh thyme leaves together, cooking until the mushrooms are tender and browned.
1. On a lightly floured surface, divide the pizza dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-inch round or 15 X 10 inch rectangle, depending on the size and shape of your grill.
2. Transfer the crust to a board lightly dusted with cornmeal. Slide the crust directly onto the grill. Do not flip. The crust is done when the surface bubbles and the bottom is browned.
3. Repeat with second crust if your grill can only accommodate one crust at a time. When both crusts are grilled, reduce the heat to low and close the lid.
1. Place one crust grilled-side up on a board dusted with cornmeal, and brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan and one quarter of the grated smoked Gouda.
2. Next, place half the onions, mushrooms and turkey slices evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle with more fresh thyme and then top a quarter of the grated Gouda. Repeat with second pizza.
3. Slide the pizza(s) onto the grill, close the lid and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bottom crust is cooked and has grill marks. Repeat with second pizza if your grill isn’t large enough for two.
4. Serve immediately drizzled with honey and a grinding of fresh black pepper.