In this recipe, I use 3 varieties of mushrooms, Portabella, Shiitake and King Oyster Mushrooms that absorb the flavours of the ingredients you’re cooking with, while retaining the “mushroomy” flavour we all savour.
Recipe courtesy of Lauren from Elle Cuisine.
Prep Time: 1 hr. | Cook Time: 25 mins.
2 tbsps fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsps fresh thyme, chopped
2 pcs portabella mushrooms, julienned
4 pcs shiitake mushrooms, julienned
2 pcs king oyster mushrooms, julienned
1 cup whipping cream
½ cup white wine
4 pcs shallots, julienned
2 tbsps flour, all purpose
2 tbsps butter
2-3 tbsps canola or vegetable oil
2 pcs DJ Steaks NY Angus Strip Steak
1. Rub 1 tbsp of rosemary, 1 tbsp of thyme, and 1 tbsp of oil into steaks. Let sit at room temperature for 45-60 min to allow flavours to develop.
2. Preheat your grill until it is smoking hot. Crust steaks with freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt. Grill steaks on high heat for 4 minutes per side (or until perfectly medium rare). Let rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
1. Preheat a stainless steel pan until very hot. Add 1 tbsp of canola oil, 1 tbsp of butter. Immediately add mushrooms to the pan. Do not stir. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Let the mushrooms fry in the butter until they are golden brown.
2. Deglaze the pan with white wine & cream. Reduce until thickened to a sauce. Adjust seasoning to
1. Fill a pot halfway with canola or vegetable oil. Preheat the oil until it is 300-325 degrees F.
2. Thinly julienne shallots. Immediately add flour and toss until the shallots are evenly coated. Deep fry in the oil until golden brown and crispy.
1. Top steak with creamed wild mushrooms & crispy shallots (try to achieve as much height as possible). Serve with tarragon mashed potatoes & grilled asparagus for the perfect steak dinner.