Healthy, hearty Veggie Quinoa Chili is full of plant based protein, iron, fibre and antioxidants! The perfect winter bowl to warm your soul and fill you with delicious nutrition.
Recipe and photo by Kimberlee of Picky Diet
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 60 mins.
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed well and drained
2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes, with juices
1 cup vegetable broth
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Fresh ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
2. Add the mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes or so, until softened.
3. Add in the quinoa and barely enough water to cover it and cook on low until the quinoa has just absorbed the water
4. Now add the diced tomatoes (with the juice) and broth. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
5. Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with additional spices or salt and pepper if desired.
Tips & Nutrition
Chili is a healthy food that often is topped with less healthy items like cheese and sour cream. Keep your chili healthy by topping it with sliced avocado, nutritional yeast, chopped onion or hemp seeds.
Feel free to make this chili more spicy by adding crushed red pepper, additional cayenne pepper or any spices you desire.
I like to make a double batch and freeze it in individual sized portions to be easily reheated on busy nights.