It works well year-round as mushrooms fit with every season. I just love the combination of the earthy mushrooms, caramelized onions & fresh herbs.
Recipe and photo by Marcella of Hey Modest Marce
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 30 mins.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1-1.5 cups of mushrooms, sliced thin (I used crimini mushrooms)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
1 cup Irish cheddar cheese, grated
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish
1. In a saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil & garlic. Once the garlic has infused into the oil, add the sliced onions, mushrooms & thyme.
2. Let cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the onions begin to caramelize & the mushrooms cook down. Remove from heat & let cool.
3. While the mixture cools, prepare the puff pastry. Roll out frozen puff pastry into a square, trim edges & place on a baking sheet.
4. Brush with olive oil, top with grated cheddar & evenly distribute the mushroom mixture.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the pastry edges have puffed & turned a golden brown.
6. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, slice & serve.