These pub sandwiches are just what you want to serve your guests during a backyard party. The roasting can easily be done on a BBQ while you mingle with friends and drink some icy beverages.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Heather from The Tasty Gardener.
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: approx. 1hr 20 mins | Makes: 16 Sliders
For the Beef and Mushrooms
4 lb sirloin roast
6-8 portabella mushrooms
salt and pepper
For the Au Jus
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cups beef broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
For the Horseradish Cream
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
For the Sandwiches
8 slices provolone, cut in half
1. Preheat oven (or BBQ) to 450 degrees F.
2. Using a paper towel pat dry the roast beef and season all sides with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan
3. Remove stem from mushroom and season both sides with salt and pepper. Place in separate roasting pan.
4. Place the roast beef in the oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 125 degrees F for medium rare or 135 degree F for medium. Once it has reached temperature, remove from pan and let rest 20-25 minutes.
5. Place mushrooms in oven and roast for 20 minutes flipping them at the 10 minute mark.
To make Au Jus:
1. Place the beef roasting pan on top of stove (or BBQ) over medium high heat and add onion, beef broth, Worcestershire and soy sauce. Cook, scraping up the dripping until onions are soft and broth is simmering. Season with salt and pepper. Strain, reserving onions for sandwiches.
(Too make a meatless version, use the mushroom pan and vegetable stock.)
To Make Horseradish Cream:
1. Combine all ingredient in bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembling the Sandwiches
1. Cut each baguette into 8 sandwiches. Butter both top and bottom pieces and place cut side down on a foil lined cookie sheet. Toast in you 450 degree F oven (or BBQ) for about 5-7 minutes. Flip the bottoms and remove the tops.
2. Thinly slice both the beef and mushrooms.
3. Pile sliced beef, mushrooms and onions ( or whatever combination your guest prefers) on top of bottom piece of bread and top with slice of cheese. Place back in oven for a couple minutes until cheese has melted.
4. Spread horseradish cream on top piece of bread and place on the bottoms. Serve with Au Jus. Enjoy!