Healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and just plain delicious, the whole roasted mushrooms lend a ton of flavour to this meal!
Recipe and photo by Kacey of The Cookie Writer.
Prep Time: 20 mins. | Cook Time: 1 hr. 15 mins.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (19 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 medium onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, chopped small
1 tsp. granulated sugar
Freshly chopped chives for garnish if desired
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner for easy clean up.
2. Add mushrooms, oil, salt, pepper, and thyme to a large mixing bowl. Toss until well combined.
3. Pour onto baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until mushrooms are nice and golden.
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. When hot, add in onions and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Stir in seasonings, making sure to add salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes. Add in tomatoes, mushrooms, and beans. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add in your peppers and sugar. Taste for seasoning. Cook for another 30-45 minutes, or until veggies are tender-crisp.
3. Serve as is, or with freshly chopped chives, sour cream, and/or cheese (my favourite topping!)
Note: You can make this meal in the slow cooker (but definitely still want to roast those mushrooms!) Save time by prepping the chili while your mushrooms are in the oven.