We’ve come up with a simple and “healthier” breakfast taquitos recipe using crimini mushrooms that we think you’ll want to make again and again. Instead of deep frying the taquitos we bake them in the oven. It is a recipe that the kids can help out with and that the whole family can enjoy!
March is Nutrition Month! In celebration, let’s take a look at the nutritional profile of mushrooms…
I need to make my New Year’s Resolution simpler. I should have known that the promise of a 6am gym routine was not going to come easy.
What did you resolve to do this year?
If maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important to you and your family, mushrooms are here to help!
The Nutritional Value of Fresh Mushrooms
Fresh mushrooms are making their mark! Even though they look simple, mushrooms have a whole lot going for them in the nutrition department.
- Antioxidants: Fresh mushrooms contain a powerful antioxidant called l-ergothioneine. Ergothioneine is found in both raw and cooked mushrooms. Portabella and crimini mushrooms have the most, followed by white button mushrooms.
- Cancer-fighting: Fresh mushrooms offer nutrients such as beta-glucans and conjugated linoleic acid, compounds that are currently being studied for their chemo-preventive potential. Recent research suggests that mushrooms (and mushroom extracts) may have powerful anticancer activity, for both breast and prostate cancer.
- Essential Nutrients: A 100 gram serving of sliced fresh white mushrooms has only 25 calories, no cholesterol, is virtually fat-free, is low in sodium and has 1 gram of fibre. They are a good source of riboflavin, copper, selenium, niacin and pantothenic acid.
- Fibre: Mushrooms offer both soluble and insoluble fibre, which helps to maintain good bowel health.
- Immunity: A strong immune system helps protect against infections from bacteria and viruses. Emerging research indicates that certain mushroom extracts (including extracts from the white button mushrooms), may have a positive effect on the immune system.
- Weight management: Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for low energy-dense diets, as they have high water content, are low in fat, and contain some fibre; three factors that will help keep you feeling full with fewer calories. Researchers have found that people who eat satisfying portions of foods that are less energy-dense have greater success at weight loss and maintenance.
Looking for ways to keep your Heart Healthy? Now is your chance! February is Heart Month in Canada, and what better time to make some heart friendly lifestyle changes than now.
So, where do you start? Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best ways to keep your heart healthy. Keeping blood cholesterol levels on target is another key in lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day can help us protect our hearts against cardiovascular disease by providing protective substances such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
Including fresh mushroom in your daily diet can also help!
Cut the Cholesterol
- Fresh mushrooms contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. Soluble fibre has been shown to help prevent and manage cardiovascular disease by lowering the levels of total and LDL cholesterol.
Watch the Weight
- Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for weight management, since they have high water content, are low in fat and contain some fibre: three factors that will help you feel full with fewer calories. That means less room for calorie-laden foods.
Adding the Antioxidants
- Fresh mushrooms contain significant levels of l-ergothioneine, which acts as an antioxidant. Ergothioneine doesn’t break down when it’s heated, which means you can enjoy mushrooms raw or cooked and still benefit from this powerful phytochemical.
Adding Fresh Mushrooms Can Make a Difference:
- Add ½ cup white button mushrooms to your omelet or scrambled eggs.
Benefit: one 1 extra gram of fibre.
- Mix 1 cup of diced portabella mushrooms into pasta or pasta sauce.
Benefit: three 3 extra grams of fibre.
- Include 1 ½ cups sliced crimini (brown) mushrooms in risotto or other rice dishes.
Benefit: five 5 extra grams of fibre.
Healthy Heart Recipe Suggestion:
Mushrooms & Vegetable Tacos
For more information and reference visit Mushrooms Canada’s Healthy Heart page.